Classes with Karen
- Sign up for upcoming classes by clicking on the registration link or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. State which class you want and include your name, phone and email. You will get a return email soon with confirmation and details about the class.
- Classes begin on time, so please arrive 10-15 minutes before class. Classes are held at my home in Fleetwood, PA unless otherwise noted. Address will be sent with confirmation email.
- Pay by cash, check, credit card, or paypal at the time of class. Please schedule carefully so that you don’t have to cancel. I put a lot of time into preparing for each class and cancellations hurt!
- Arrange private, custom individual or group classes by contacting me via phone or email. Classes can be held at your place or mine. You can select the items you want to make. Many classes can be adapted for children with adult helpers.
- All classes include handouts and recipes so you can continue making products after the class at home. For all classes, some materials and supplies will be provided. Some will be brought by students. Class size limited to 12 students for plenty of individual help and instruction.
- Contact Karen by email at email@example.com or by phone 610-389-8316.
- If you would like to join my email list to receive news about upcoming classes, please send an email with your contact information.
Upcoming Classes 2019:
Fermented Foods: Miso and Fermented Nut Butter: $50. Saturday, November 2 from 9 am-12 pm.
Learn to make Miso, a traditional, savory Japanese condiment made by fermenting soybeans or yellow peas with salt and culture. The resulting thick paste is used for flavoring soups, sauces and more. Learn to make Fermented Nut Butter from pureed nuts, seeds and culture. Vegans consider this tasty, rich, nutritious product as a cheese alternative. You will go home with a pound of fermenting Miso and Nut Butter. The class includes demonstrations of making Nut or Seed Milk, and Tamari a soy sauce like product. Students will bring some supplies.
Fall Vegetable Fermentation: $50. Monday, September 23 from 5-8 pm.
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic sauerkraut, kimchi, beets, carrots, apples, garlic, lemons and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies. Veggies will be provided. You bring jars. Details will follow in an email.
Fall Vegetable Fermentation. $50. Friday October 4 from 10-1.
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic sauerkraut, kimchi, onions, beets, carrots, apples, garlic, lemons and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies. Veggies will be provided. You bring jars. Details will follow in an email.
Hard Cider Making: Begins 10/14/19 at Goggleworks Center for the Arts, Reading PA. $220.
Turning fresh apple cider into delicious fermented hard cider is the easiest and most enjoyable of fermentation processes. We obtain our juice from regional orchards in late October then meet to learn about all aspects of cider making. Each student completes the course with approximately 2.5 gallons of bottled cider, customized to personal taste. Intermediate students with prior experience will gain increased knowledge about all aspects of cider making through instruction and independent study. Begins October 14, 2019. Meets approximately every other Monday for 6 weeks at The Goggleworks Center for the Arts in Reading, PA. Register now at Goggleworks.org Look for the section called Handmade Home.
The following classes are available for private and group scheduling, at your place or mine. Contact me by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Botanical Lotions and Potions Menu
Explore ancient and contemporary methods of using plant-based raw materials to make an eclectic variety of useful herbal products. All products can be personally customized to suit your own needs. We use organic ingredients as much as possible.
Class A: Sampler Set. $75, 3 hours
- Luscious Lotion: An all-purpose, non-greasy lotion that is perfect for anyone, anywhere, anytime. You can make it unscented or can choose from a variety of essential oils.
- Queen of Hungary’s Water: An ancient vinegar-based formula created by the Roma of eastern Europe. It is an all-purpose astringent skin, hair, and body toner that cleanses deeply and balances pH.
- Aromatherapy Sprays: Use for fragrance, attitude adjustment, and aromatherapy on face, body, and indoors for body and facial mist, aftershave, air and linen freshener, deodorant, insect repellent and many more uses. You will create 3 different sprays.
Class B: Herbal Salves, Balms and Infused Oils. $75, 3 hours
Using beeswax, plant oils and nut butters, we will make 5 different products including Herbal Vapo Balm (for congestion of chest and sinus, lip balm), Arnica Balm (antiseptic for bruises, cuts, burns and minor trauma), and Capsaicin Joint Balm (for joint and muscular pain.) We will also make herbal infused body oils such as Soothing Calendula Rose Oil, Stimulating Rosemary Oil, Healing Arnica Oil. These can be used alone or can later be turned into salve at home.
Fermentation Classes Menu
Summer Vegetable Fermentation. $50, 3 hours.
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic pickles, tomatoes, green beans, onions, beets, carrots and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies.
Fall Vegetable Fermentation. $50, 3 hours
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic sauerkraut, kimchi, onions, beets, carrots, apples and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies.
Fermented Condiments. $50, 3 hours
Fermented condiments offer a new world of nutrition and flavor to year-round cooking. We will make a selection of 3-4 of the following choices: my famous Worcestershire Sauce, tomato and pepper salsas, hot sauce, fermented garlic, fermented lemons, or turmeric-ginger sauce depending on availability. We can also make Fire Cider- The legendary folk remedy made from vinegar, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, horseradish and spices. It is a tasty, zesty vinaigrette and helpful reliever of cold and flu symptoms.
Miso, Tamari, and Fermented Nut Butter. $50. 3 Hours.
Learn to make Miso, a traditional Japanese condiment made by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji culture. The result is a thick paste used for sauces, soups, spreads, and for pickling vegetables or meats. Use the miso to make Tamari- a kind of soy sauce. Also, learn to make fermented nut butter from pureed nuts and seeds, and lactic acid bacteria culture. Vegans consider this tasty, rich, nutritious product as a cheese alternative.
House Concert with Wreckless Eric Sunday, 11/17/19.
Time TBA- it will be in later afternoon. At our place. BYOB. We will have a keg of sour beer or cider and light snacks. $20 donation, all goes to the artist. Friends and family welcome. We hope to see you here! For more information, email email@example.com.
Eric Goulden, the man everyone knows as Wreckless Eric, is a rare example of an older and established artist who hasn’t lapsed into comfortable formulas. His latest album Transience has been universally acclaimed alongside 2016's ‘amERICa' and 2018's Construction Time & Demolition as his best work.
"Eric delivers tough, deceptively simple songs packed with more hindsight, rage and gallows humour than more celebrated talents manage in a lifetime."