Classes with Karen
- Sign up for scheduled classes (those with dates) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You will get a return email soon with confirmation and details about the class.
- Classes begin on time, so please arrive 10-15 minutes before class. Classes are held at my home in Fleetwood, PA unless otherwise noted. Address will be sent with confirmation email.
- Pay by cash, check, credit card, or paypal at the time of class. Please schedule carefully so that you don’t have to cancel. I put a lot of time into preparing for each class and cancellations hurt!
- Arrange private custom individual or group classes, scheduled at your convenience, by contacting me through phone or email. You can select the items you want to make.
- All classes include handouts and recipes so you can continue making products after the class at home. For all classes, some materials and supplies will be provided. Some will be brought by students. Class size limited to 12 students for plenty of individual help and instruction.
- Contact Karen by email at email@example.com or by phone 610-389-8316.
Fall Vegetable Fermentation: $50. Monday, September 23 from 5-8 pm.
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic sauerkraut, kimchi, beets, carrots, apples, garlic, lemons and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies. Veggies will be provided. You bring jars. Details will follow in an email.
Fall Vegetable Fermentation. $50. Friday October 4 from 10-1.
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic sauerkraut, kimchi, onions, beets, carrots, apples, garlic, lemons and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies. Veggies will be provided. You bring jars. Details will follow in an email.
Hard Cider Making: Begins 10/14/19 at Goggleworks center for the Arts, Reading PA. $220.
Turning fresh apple cider into delicious fermented hard cider is the easiest and most enjoyable of fermentation processes. We obtain our juice from regional orchards in late October then meet to learn about all aspects of cider making. Each student completes the course with approximately 2.5 gallons of bottled cider, customized to personal taste. Intermediate students with prior experience will gain increased knowledge about all aspects of cider making through instruction and independent study. Begins October 14, 2019. Meets approximately every other Monday for 6 weeks at The Goggleworks Center for the Arts in Reading, PA. Register now at Goggleworks.org Look for the section called Handmade Home.
The following classes will be scheduled soon. They are now available for private scheduling. Contact me by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Botanical Lotions and Potions
Explore ancient and contemporary methods of using plant-based raw materials to make an eclectic variety of useful herbal products. All products can be personally customized to suit your own needs. We will use organic raw material as much as possible.
Class A: Sampler Set. $75, 3 hours
- Luscious Lotion: An all-purpose, non-greasy lotion that is perfect for anyone, anywhere, anytime. You can make it unscented or can choose from a variety of essential oils.
- Queen of Hungary’s Water: An ancient vinegar-based formula created by the Roma of eastern Europe. It is an all-purpose astringent skin tonic that balances pH.
- Aromatherapy Sprays: Use for fragrance, attitude adjustment, and aromatherapy on face, body, and indoors for body and facial mist, aftershave, air and linen freshener, deodorant, insect repellant and many more uses. You will create 3 different sprays.
- Fire Cider: The legendary folk remedy made from vinegar, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, horseradish and spices is a tasty, zesty reliever of cold and flu symptoms. Stir into hot water for tea, use as a sweet and sour vinaigrette, or take straight by the spoonful.
Class B: Herbal Salves, Balms and Infused Oils. $75, 3 hours
Using beeswax, plant oils and nut butters, we will make 5 different products including Herbal Vapo Balm (for congestion of chest and sinus, lip balm), Arnica Balm (antiseptic for bruises, cuts, burns and minor trauma), and Capsaicin Joint Balm (for joint and muscular pain.) We will also make herbal infused body oils such as Soothing Calendula Rose Oil, Stimulating Rosemary Oil, Healing Arnica Oil. These can be used alone or can later be turned into salve at home.
Summer Vegetable Fermentation. $50, 3 hours.
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic pickles, tomatoes, green beans, onions, beets, carrots and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies.
Fall Vegetable Fermentation. $50, 3 hours
Learn about the culture and practice of making safely fermented vegetables. Make your own delicious, nutritious, probiotic sauerkraut, kimchi, onions, beets, carrots, apples and more. You will go home with at least 4 quarts of fermenting veggies.
Fermented Condiments. $50, 3 hours
Fermented condiments offer a new world of nutrition and flavor to year-round cooking. We will make my famous Worcestershire Sauce, tomato and pepper salsas and hot sauce, fermented garlic and lemons, mixed vegetable salsa, turmeric-ginger sauce, and more.
Miso, Tamari, and Fermented Nut Butter. $50. 3 Hours.
Learn to make Miso, a traditional Japanese condiment made by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji culture. The result is a thick paste used for sauces, soups, spreads, and for pickling vegetables or meats. Use the miso to make Tamari- a kind of soy sauce. Also, learn to make fermented nut butter from pureed nuts and seeds, and lactic acid bacteria culture. Vegans consider this tasty, rich, nutritious product as a cheese alternative.